Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Indie Rock: Camera Obscura

My first impression of Camera Obscura as being a group from the 60s or 70s due to the old-timey vocal styling of Tracyanne Campbell and the music accompaniment was, to my dismay, false. Why do they have to be so reminiscent of Nico but with a twee pop twist?

Upon looking the group up on Wikipedia for the first time, I was finally rightly enlightened that they were in fact formed in 1996! Really, truly.

It is kind of embarrassing how long I've went without knowing this fact but I am now even more impressed knowing that the group is able to produce a classic sound while being a modern band.

Even more shocking to me is the fact they are from Scotland, not California, as I thought them to be, based on their mellow surfer sound a la a more polished Best Coast.

This group is perfect to blast through the speakers of your car while driving around in the summer time with the windows down, sunglasses on and hand waving through the wind. Or at least that's how I maximize my enjoyment of these feel good, poppy indie tunes.

A perfect example that can be used for this is their entire album Let's Get Out of This Country.

But here is one of my favorites of theirs, for purposes of blasting in a car with the windows down or listening to quietly in your bedroom:


[UPDATE: Made on 4/8/14 at 3:30 pm]

No comments:

Post a Comment