Thursday, March 27, 2014

Indie Rock: Rilo Kiley

One of my favorite quintessential indie groups would be Rilo Kiley, although you won't hear lead singer Jenny Lewis label it as such.

In 2003, Marli Guzzetta of the Houston Press, described the sound on Rilo Kiley's The Execution of All Things as "the diary of an optimistic '50s pop star whose music has been deflowered by electric guitars and synthesizers, crushed and disenchanted by lost love and broken homes."

If that description doesn't make you want to listen or doesn't already enforce your own views on the band, then you must be listening to Rilo Kiley the wrong way. Please see an indie doctor ASAP.

This song was the first I heard because as with most bands, you are first introduced to their most recent work rather than previous albums. I would relentlessly (and embarrassingly) belt it out alone in my room and dance when I felt sad.

Hopefully it makes you do the same and becomes as inspiring of an anthem to you as it is to me. 



[UPDATE: Made on 4/10/14 at 4 pm]

No comments:

Post a Comment