Monday, April 14, 2014

The Fallacy of Indie

I think it's important now, between my posts on indie music, for me to take the time to realize how dominated by white women the indie music genre is.

I have to admit my own and others' naiveté in thinking that these are the only women who produce this type of music when in reality that is not the case one bit.

Sure, these women who all have similar physical appearances (a la Zooey Deschanel's quirky chic) dominate the mainstream indie circuit but there are women of color making significant strides with their own music of this genre.

Recently, I was trying to search for a scholarly paper on the prevalence of women (of all racial backgrounds) in indie music as a whole. Instead I stumbled upon this list of 30 African American women staking their claim in the genre.

Why don't these fabulous young women get as much (if any) radio play as their white counterparts? Kinda fishy, if I do say so myself.

The first artist I chose to listen to was Jennah Bell, whose voice instantly reminded me of a more refined and sweeter version of Macy Gray's. When you search her name on Youtube, you will find a large number of acoustic or live videos which showcase her great talent. Here is a cover she did of Lauryn Hill's song 'Doo Wop (That Thing).'

Take a look through the list and let me know who your favorite is, or tell me any other artists the list missed!



No comments:

Post a Comment