Friday, March 21, 2014

An Intro to Indie

I had been going through my iTunes library recently and discovered how many female indie artists I had music of. For my following posts, I have put together a list of twenty female-fronted indie bands to share. But since I'm sure you would never scroll through a post that long because it'd take ages, I will post weekly on different indie artists until they have all been covered (this should take about 5 weeks if I don't keep adding to the list. I have no restraint, ok.)

Why is it that I was able to find so many indie bands in my library that featured women? Is it because of my bias towards female musicians or is it an easier genre for women to break into and be successful in? Is it expected for women in music to take the more passive indie route than other more aggressive musical paths?

While I may not have the answers to these questions yet, I can introduce my audience to bands/artists that are or will be influential in the indie genre.

I don't even know where to begin or with whom. Indie can sound different depending on the instruments, vocals, and miscellaneous noise. Indie, to me anyways, is just a genre that is imposed on artists who don't necessarily fit into the definition of other genres, as sort of a mixture of sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment